Teen waved seven inch kitchen knife as he ran through streets

A teenager ran through St Helens streets waving a seven inch kitchen knife as he was chased by police.

Reece Lowndes, then 19, was seen by a concerned member of the public waving the knife around in Corporation Street in January this year.

When police arrived the teen fled and when a female officer caught up with him he hit her in the face, knocking her to the ground, before throwing the knife away and jumping from a bridge.

Lowndes appeared at Liverpool Crown Court this morning after being arrested at the scene, despite his efforts to escape.

Zahra Baqri, prosecuting, said: “On January 22 this year police received a call from a concerned member of the public.”

They had seen Lowndes walking in St Helens while “waving a knife around”.

Police arrived and “chased the male on foot” but when a female police officer caught up with Lowndes he “struck her to the face with such force she fell to the ground” .

Ms Baqri explained the woman’s glasses flew from her face and lay in the road around one metre away.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what’s on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

After he hit the police officer Lowndes carried on running and discarded a “shiny item” over a bridge.

Another officer continued to chase Lowndes who then jumped 15 to 20 feet off a bridge onto waste ground and was detained and arrested and the knife was later discovered.

Lowndes has 11 previous convictions for 17 offences including possession of a bladed article, common assault, criminal damage and threatening with a blade.

He has also been convicted of breaching court orders.

Louise McCloskey, defending, said Lowndes’ mum sat at the back of court and “doesn’t want to see him continue on this path”.

She explained he struggled with language and communication skills at school which had a “knock on impact” with his employment.

Ms McCloskey said there are “clear concerns about substance misuse” and alcohol misuse, adding there is a “correlation” between his offending and addiction.

She said: “If these two factors are addressed, the alcohol and the drug use, that reduces this young man’s risk of harm to the public.”

Ms McCloskey asked the judge to consider that it will be his first period of imprisonment and asked him to take into account the impact of the pandemic on prisoners.

Lowndes, of Derbyshire Hill Road, St Helens, admitted assaulting an emergency worker and possession of a knife.

The judge, Recorder Simon Parrington, said: “These are serious matters as you know, particularly having regard to your previous convictions including assaults and possession of a knife.”

The judge said the fact it was reported to police by a member of the public means there was distress and alarm caused.

Recorder Parrington said: “Your personal protection was not a reasonable excuse, whatever you thought at the time it is not a reasonable excuse.

“Far from cooperating, you assaulted a female police officer, hitting her in the face, knocking her to the ground, throwing away a bladed article.”

The judge said Lowndes has “built up a very substantial record” by the age of only 20.

Lowndes was jailed for one year and must pay a £156 victim surcharge.

Liverpool Echo – Liverpool News