Suspect named after Jacob Billington killed in Birmingham attack

Suspect named after Jacob Billington killed in Birmingham attack

A man accused of murdering Jacob Billington during a knife rampage across Birmingham was named by police.

Zephaniah McLeod was charged with the 23-year-old’s death and the attempted murder of seven others, including Jacob’s best friend Michael Callaghan.

The 27-year-old, of Nately Grove in Birmingham, was arrested on Monday afternoon following the spree in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Jacob, from Crosby, died after sustaining a stab wound to the neck at around 4am on September 6, a post mortem examination found.

His family previously spoke out over their devastation as West Midlands Police confirmed McLeod would be up in court on Wednesday morning.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the force said: “We’ve charged a man with the murder of Jacob Billington, who was one of eight people stabbed in Birmingham city centre in the early hours of Sunday.

Forensic teams on Irving Street where Jacob Billington was killed

“Zephaniah McLeod, 27, of Nately Grove, Selly Oak, Birmingham, is also accused of the attempted murder of the seven other victims of the knife attacks.

“McLeod will appear before Birmingham Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday morning.

Keep up to date with crime news in your area by adding your postcode below

“Jacob, 23, died after being attacked in Irving Street while enjoying a night out with school friends from Liverpool visiting one of their group who is studying in Birmingham.

“A post mortem concluded he died as a result of a stab wound to the neck.

“A 23-year-old man, who was seriously injured in Irving Street, remains in hospital in a critical condition.

Michael Callaghan, 23 and from Crosby, suffered stab wounds during a series of knife attacks in Birmingham city centre.
(Image: Liverpool ECHO)

“A 22-year-old woman, attacked in Hurst Street, remains in a critical but stable condition in hospital.

“Another man, aged 30, remains in a serious condition in hospital, while four others have been discharged. “

Detective Chief Inspector Jim Munro is leading the investigation. He said: “Since these tragic events unfolded in the early hours of Sunday morning we’ve had a team of officers working non-stop on the investigation.

“Our driving focus is to secure justice for the victims, their family and friends.

“Our sympathies remain with everyone who’s been impacted by these terrible crimes.

“Our investigation continues and I would urge any witnesses who’ve not yet spoken to us, or anyone with information they feel could help, to get in touch.”

Anyone with information, photos or video footage which could help the investigation can get in touch with us via this dedicated web link: https://mipp.police.uk/operation/20HQ19G54-PO1

Liverpool Echo – Liverpool News