Residents flee after tower block fire ’caused by Christmas tree’

Residents had to flee a tower block of flats after a Christmas tree caught fire in the lobby.

Mersey Fire and Rescue was called out to Marwood Towers off Great Homes Street in Everton last night (Wednesday) following reports of a fire.

Some residents contacted the ECHO to say that there had been an arson incident at the flats late night.

One person who lives in the tower block claimed no fire alarm was sounded and they had to be alerted by a neighbour to the blaze.

The resident said: “The first I heard of it was when a neighbour phoned me to say the building was on fire there was no alarms going off to warn us.”

However today police confirmed the fire was non-suspicious and is believed to have been caused by a Christmas tree in the lobby area.

Enter your postcode for updates on the vaccine near you

The fire service said they sent four engines and a ladder unit to the scene at around 9.43pm last night.

The spokesperson said there had been a small fire in the lobby area which was put out by crews. The service left the scene around ten minutes later.

The spokesperson added that there were no reports of any injures.

Where you inside the tower block at the time of the fire? Let us know in the comments below or by emailing us at tom.duffy@reachplc.com

Marwood Towers was in the news three years ago after cladding on the exterior of the building failed new fire safety regulations. At the time Liverpool Mutual Homes, who manage the site, said they were “shocked and disappointed” that the cladding had failed a safety test.

Contractors later removed the cladding as a precautionary measure .

There is no suggestion last night’s fire was in any way linked to cladding.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what’s on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

Marwood Towers, which first opened in 1965, has undergone an £8.5m refurbishment project over recent years.

Liverpool Echo – Liverpool News