Goodison Park is a football stadium located in Walton, Liverpool, England.
The stadium has been home to Premier League club Everton F.C. since its completion in 1892 and is one of the world's oldest purpose-built football grounds.
Club: Everton FC | Opening: 1892 | Capacity: 40,157 seats
History and description
Goodison Park officially opened on 24 August 1892 with an athletics event. The first match, between Everton and Bolton (4-2), was played 9 days later. Everton had previously played at Anfield, but a dispute over the rent drove them out.
Goodison Park initially consisted of one covered seating stand, two uncovered terraces, and a running track. In 1894, it hosted its first FA Cup final. Notts County beat Bolton in front of a 37,000 crowd.
The stadium got quickly developed in the early 20th century, first with the construction of a double-decker stand at the Park End in 1907, and next with the large Goodison Road Stand in 1909. The running track was also removed.
The new double-decker Goodison Road Stand had been designed by renowned architect Archibald Leitch. At that time, Goodison Park was considered the best ground in Britain.
Archibald Leitch also designed the next two new stands of the ground. The first was the new Bullens Road Stand in 1926 and the second the new Gwladys Street End in 1938. All stands were two-tiered.
On the 18th of December 1948, Goodison Park recorded its highest attendance in a match between Everton and Liverpool. A total of 78,299 supporters visited the match.