Billy Butler fans are “made up” about the broadcasting legend’s return to radio.
The 78-year-old is back on air with a brand new station, 18 months after being dropped by BBC Radio Merseyside.
Billy had spent 50 years working in local radio when the BBC announced they would not be renewing his contract back in 2018.
Listeners were disappointed and upset when Billy’s show was cancelled so hundreds were thrilled when he announced he would be taking part on Liverpool Live 24/7 at the weekends.
Speaking to the ECHO, he said: “I will be on air on Saturdays from 10am-1pm and Sundays from 11am-1pm.
“The idea is to get local voices back on the air, speaking to local people about things happening right here in our communities.
“It’s great to be back sharing and chatting to the people of Merseyside. I have really missed that during my time off air.”
And fans were quick to share their excitement over the news online.
On Facebook, Kath Forrest Littler said: “Back where you belong Billy.
“Upset a lot of people you going. Best Wishes.”
And when fans heard that Billy would often be joined by long time pal, Wally Scott, and they would be bringing back Hold Your Plums, the excitement continued to grow.
Crystal Jud said: “I love these two, even met them and had photos taken.
“I’m so made up.”
Get the latest news and headline, from your area, straight to your inbox
David Green added: “Welcome back Billy.
“Radio Merseyside has never been the same. You were missed.”
Others online shared their favourite memories of listening to Billy through the years.
Julie Devlin said: “My mum is buzzing now.
“Used take her hours make the Sunday dinner cause she was listening to you in the kitchen.”
Sandy Hayden also said: “Memories of my nan listening to them both.
“Just made me smile thinking about nan laughing at them and the call ins to Hold Your Plums.”
Sylvia Jamieson added: “Wonderful news,.
“So many laughter memories of Hold Your Plums. Thank you for the laughter, long may it last.”
Billy said that the return to local radio has given him a “welcome boost” after a difficult few months.
Earlier this year, he went through a difficult knee replacement and then revealed that in the last month he had begun to lose the sight in one of his eyes.
He added: “It’s been a difficult few months medically and a tough 18 months since I came off the air so this has been a welcome boost for me.
“I know there was a lot of disappointment and upset when I left Radio Merseyside from listeners who weren’t happy with the decision.
“So hopefully, this is something they will be glad to hear and will want to tune in.
“Especially now, during these times when more of us are in the house than normal, it will be nice for us all to be able to hear those local voices we became so accustomed to over the years.”